We Need an Election
Created by Hugh Fletcher on 14/05/2009
Target: The House of Commons
Like millions of other UK citizens he is angered by the way that Members of Parliament have been abusing the House of Commons expenses system.
The petition is designed to achieve five objectives:
1. To challenge MPs to respond to their wrong doings to an extent that has hitherto been noticeable only by its absence.
2. To give the public an opportunity to see how each MP rises to that challenge.
3. To give the public the opportunity to pass judgement at the ballot box.
4. To re-enable the authority of the House of Commons and allow the work of government to proceed.
5. To ensure that the redrafted expenses policy is not written by those who abused the original policy.
The petition does not pardon MPs for their misdeeds or remove the need for a radical overhaul of the parliamentary expenses system. Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs must continue to investigate any suspected tax evasion and the Police must continue to investigate any suspected criminal offences. Any tax evasion that has occurred or crime that has been committed must be prosecuted and punished just as it would for any member of the public.
“We the people call on all Members of Parliament to immediately place the follow motion before the House of Commons and to vote in favour of the motion.
“This house recognises that through the greed of some of its own MPs in using public funds for their own personal benefit; it has lost the trust and support of the electorate and consequently its moral authority to govern. In order to re-establish the authority of this House the Prime Minister should immediately ask Her Majesty the Queen to dissolve Parliament so that a General Election can be held.
Please support this call by voting at http://petition.co.uk/we_need_an_election